The origins of the John Pierce Centre (JPC) date back to 1935 when Father John Pierce as appointed as the first Chaplain to the Catholic Deaf Community in Victoria by Archbishop Mannix In those times, all the major denominations conducted missions of various sorts to the needy people of Melbourne; included in these were the Deaf and Blind.
Today the JPC operates as an independent not for profit company limited by guarantee and maintains its links with the Catholic Church as a member of Catholic Social Services Victoria. The Catholic Church supports JPC by providing the premises of our Deaf Community Centre and by funding for the cost of the Lay Chaplain, religious and pastoral care services.
JPC receives no government funding but receives generous dontations, bequests and grants from philanthropic organisations to fund its work each year. The services of the JPC are available to all Deaf people and include family support programs, counseling and adult education opportunities.